ShoreTel/ Mitel Tip
Every new employee needs time to ramp up, but there are always things a good manager can do to help speed along their learning. One of these things is Silent Coaching for phone calls. ShoreTel’s Silent Coach feature allows you to join a call with your new employee, hearing everything both they and the customer say, and allowing you to offer real-time guidance (ShoreTel’s Instant Messaging enhances this feature) to your employee as the conversation progresses, without the customer ever knowing you’re on the call!
Silent Coach is a client feature that lets ShoreTel OnSite 14.2, Connect 15.1 and ShoreTel MiCloud Connect users (the initiator) intervene in another user’s active call and communicate with that user (the recipient). The initiator can speak to the recipient and listen to all other call participants on the call. The recipient is the only call participant that can hear the initiator.
The right to use Silent Coach is set by your system administrator, or your PDX.net Tech. The system administrator also specifies the users (recipients) whose calls the initiator can monitor. A Telephony Class of Service assigns Silent Coach rights.
Silent Coach can be initiated through various ShoreTel IP Phone models or through ShoreTel Communicator and the Connect Profile.
With this feature you can now monitor the call. The ShoreTel user will be able to hear what you say, but the person they are speaking to will not.
NOTE: The following are details about Silent Coach Behavior:
• Silent Coach lets the initiator switch between Silent Monitor, Barge In, and Silent Coach functions for the same call.
• Silent Coach sessions can be initiated through ShoreTel IP Phone or the ShoreTel Communicator, Connect profile, or from the phone’s programmable button.
Silent Coach in 14.2 Communicator.
Silent Coach in 15.1 Connect Profile.
• The initiator of a Silent Coach session can change the session to a Silent Monitor or Barge-In session. Silent Monitor sessions can be changed into a Silent Coach session.
• The recipient can place the original call on hold to engage in a two-way conversation with the Silent Coach initiator. At the end of this conversation, the user can resume or terminate the original call.
• Silent Coach cannot be initiated with users who are on conference calls.• A call with an active Silent Coach session cannot be transferred or converted to a conference call.
• The recipient cannot record calls while Silent Coach is active.
• Silent Coach is normally used for Workgroup Supervisors to monitor Workgroup Agents, as well as for new employee coaching.
• ShoreTel provides an option for playing a Silent Coach Warning Tone to all call participants when a
Silent Coach session is initiated and if the Silent Coach Warning Tone option is enabled. The Warning
Tone setting applies to all Silent Coach sessions on the system. When a user transitions between
Silent Coach and Silent monitor, the warning tones start/stop are based on the silent coach or silent
monitor warning tone setting.
Need help? Don’t hesitate to contact us at Support@PDX.net. Customers under our PDX.net ShoreTel Partner Support Plan get unlimited call in, and email support at No Charge.
We Provide ShoreTel Support for ShoreTel 14, ShoreTel MiVoice Connect 15, and ShoreTel MiCloud Connect, which allows us to offer a single point of contact for everything IT and Telecom.
There are many ShoreTel customers in the Pacific Northwest who are seeking ShoreTel support every day. The majority of them haven’t made the transition to ShoreTel Connect 15 OnSite or migrated to the ShoreTel Cloud Connect platform before ShoreTel was acquired by Mitel. Mitel’s policy and vision on the technical evolution of ShoreTel and Mitel merged solutions is exciting. If you are a current ShoreTel user that needs technical support, attention to your system’s health, or assistance with transition to Connect 15 or a migration to the Cloud we can help. When it’s the right moment for your business we are here for you.